Rocky Mountain Elementary and St. Vrain Valley Schools priorities student well-being and support. To this end, we offer many different counseling support services to connect students and families with the information and resources they need to be successful. If you or your student need counseling please contact the front office or reach out to our student support team.
The Essential Role of Elementary School Counselors
Click here for the role according to the American School Counseling Association (ASCA)What types of things do I talk with students about in class lessons, groups and individual short-term counseling?
- Making and keeping friends
- Setting goals
- Feeling good about yourself
- Making good choices
- Being responsible
- Managing strong feelings
- Conflict resolution
School counselors recognize their primary obligation for confidentiality is to the student but balance that obligation with an understanding of the family or guardians’ legal and inherent rights to be the guiding voice in their children’s lives.The role of the school counselor in regards to confidentiality is:
- To support the students’ right to privacy and protect confidential information received from students, the family, guardians and staff membersTo inform students and the family of the limits to confidentiality when:Student poses a danger to self or others
- Court ordered disclosure
- Consultation with other professionals in support of the student i.e. colleagues, supervisors, treatment teams, and other support personnel
- To adhere to all laws protecting student records, health information, and special services (i.e., HIPAA, FERPA, IDEA).
Join me in my Webex Online Office for a one-on-one conversation during my office hours, M-F 9:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
During this time when our social supports are limited, incorporating Gratitude, Affirmation, Mindfulness, Effort, and Self-Care into your daily routine will help reduce fear and anxiety and improve your mental health.
Daily GAMES is a way to remember helpful activities to support our emotional health during this difficult time. Let us connect together, support each other, and take care of ourselves. Doing just one activity from the list of GAMES each day will help to significantly improve your thoughts, mental health, and physical health.
I am on this journey with you, and until we see each other again, I will use these videos to teach you and will practice each of these five activities with you. We may be physically distant at the moment but let’s stay socially and emotionally connected!